Friday, July 2, 2010

Microwaving Pasta Take Two

I've finally figured out how to microwave pasta. There are two keys to the process: 1) a deep bowl and 2) a rotation between high and medium power.

So how did I do it?
1) FIll a deep bowl about 1/3 full of water.
2) Add macaroni. Don't add too much that it goes above the water.
3) Microwave on HIGH power for 5 minutes. If the water boils over, turn the microwave off.
4) Microwave on MEDIUM (1/2 of the power level) for 5 minutes.
5) Microwave on HIGH for another 2 minutes.

Some people prefer a more al dente pasta. If that's you, skip step 5. But now that you know how to microwave your own pasta, you can buy your own favorite sauces to mix in, so no more night after night of mac'n'cheese! Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. yay microwaving!!
    question: why is it that my pasta cooks in 3.5 minutes from the fresh and easy lunchs or marie calendar lunch things...i'm fairly certain those aren't the right names but i think you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not totally sure. But I do know that when I make my easy mac, there are little white beads in it, so I would guess that has something to do with it. Basically, I don't have all the special technology some food factories do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clara, I have to say, I love this blog! I've been cooking for myself all summer and I'm so bummed that I don't know very much about improvising - but now I'm pumped to try out all your ideas!

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, the lunch things are made with pasta that is somewhat pre-cooked and then packaged. (from your food scientist mom)

    ReplyDelete