Friday, June 18, 2010

Microwaving Pasta

Many college students make macaroni and cheese in their dorm room. But let's face it, it gets old fast. But it's such a quick fix for food. Such a dilemma, I know.

So my thought process? Many brands have pre-made sauces, so why not simply boil water/cook pasta, strain, and add a sauce. That's basically how most box mac-n-cheeses work, so it should work, right?

Well, it's a work in progress. I tried it today, and it wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. First of all, I tried putting the pasta in a mug. Not a good idea, because it doesn't cook as well. Also, water overflowed numerous times during cooking, which made for lots of cleanings and a very wet kitchen towel (sorry Mom)! A bowl definitely works better for cooking the pasta.

So lesson of the day? I need to find 1) the best bowl for the job and 2) a more accurate time. When I find this out, I promise I'll let you know. Because I don't want to have mac-n-cheese every time I need a quick dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment